Pages

Monday, October 31, 2011

Happy Halloween

I have to admit, Halloween is not my favorite holiday.  I stress myself out a lot trying to come up with costume ideas for my kids.  Thankfully, the two oldest knew what they wanted to be this year.  We owned one of the costumes already, and I had a good idea of how to make the other.


My oldest wanted to be a cow girl.  My mom sent me this cow scrap fabric, from her and my father's costumes, and I made a skirt and vest in one afternoon.  I'm not great with a sewing machine, so I was pretty proud of myself.  And I found the red rick rack in my grandmother's sewing basket, and it added just the right finishing touch to her costume.  And the hat is her dad's from when he was a child.  I should add that I used the Lazy Days skirt pattern by Oliver + S to sew the skirt.  Great, easy (and free) pattern!



I had seen a fall fairy costume online in September for close to $40 and knew right away that I wasn't paying for that.  So I found this website with an idea of how to make a fairy costume.  I bought 6 yards of tulle for 50 cents a yard and I got the silk leaves for $1.50.  So for $4.50 total, I made this costume.  And I have to say that I absolutely love it.

My littlest's reaction to being a fall fairy was that "it's yucky."  She, in all of her 2 1/2 years, actually wanted to be Dominic the Italian Christmas donkey.  And if I hadn't bought the stuff for the fall fairy, I may have indulged her.  There's always next year!


No comments:

Post a Comment

I love reading your comments. Thank you!

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...