Pages

Monday, February 28, 2011

When life hands you lemons, make lemonade...

when the sky sends you freezing rain, make ice cream sandwiches. (Knitting seems obvious here, but you can do that after you eat.)

Ok, that's a bit of a stretch. But curl up on the couch with an afghan and some warm socks and one of these ice cream sandwiches, and I promise they'll make you happy.

Before Christmas, I went a little nuts baking cookies. I have my standard favorites that I like to make every year, and this year my husband requested pizzelles. I've only made them once before and in my mind, I was thinking they were difficult and a lot of work. But as I got going, I realized they're very easy and totally worth it.

We're lucky to have my husband's grandmother's pizzelle maker from the 1960's.

P1000354

P1000355


I used Giada DeLaurentis' Pizzelle recipe. It's a super easy recipe that I can hand mix in one bowl. She suggests making ice cream sandwiches with them by slicing up a pint of ice cream and placing a slice of ice cream between 2 cookies.

P1000357

P1000356


For every year of my childhood that I can remember, my family had a Friendly's Jubilee Roll at dessert for Christmas. We always had homemade stuff too, but that's the dessert I remember. In the past couple of years, I've been buying them myself because it reminds me of those really wonderful times and my family laughs when I bring it out. But everyone has a piece too.

So this year, I cut up the Friendly's Jubilee roll, and placed it between 2 pizelles. It was heaven!

P1000030


Now I realize we're well past Christmas, but I made these again this weekend and they were as good as I remembered them.

No comments:

Post a Comment

I love reading your comments. Thank you!

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...