Pages

Tuesday, December 1, 2009

"make me something delicious"

My kids are tired. I don't know if it was the long weekend for Thanksgiving and the traveling and visiting with family, or whether it's something else entirely, but my kids looked like they were ready to fall asleep yesterday at 4pm. Neither of them has napped in years, so a nap was out of the question. Today, both girls were up much earlier than usual. So by the time I picked up my preschooler from school today, she was running on empty.

Her: "What are we having for lunch today?"
Me: "Turkey pie."
Her: "I hate turkey pie. That's not delicious."
Me: "OK, you can have peanut butter and jelly."
Her: "Why don't you make delicious meals? I want delicious meals."
Me: "We're going home now."
Her (standing just feet outside of the preschool with other children and parents around): "I'm not going home. You're annoying me."

I'd like to think that I responded in a way that means that she'll never talk to me that way again, but I know I didn't and I know she will. My daughter can be pretty sassy, especially when it comes time to eat. She informed me just last week that the meal I served her was "the most disgusting meal she'd ever had in her whole life" of just 3 and a half years.

So back to her being tired: she took a 3 hour nap today. That's unheard of for her. But now it's almost 10pm and she's still up. I knew that the few hours of quiet I had this afternoon would be paid back this evening.

I think that we've fallen into a pattern where even if I served donuts for dinner--one of her favorite foods that she gets only once every few months--she'd complain that they were disgusting.

So here I sit crocheting donuts for a custom order thinking it would be nice to have a real one right about now.

No comments:

Post a Comment

I love reading your comments. Thank you!

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...